Case by Case . . .

There are many definitions for religion. My favorite informal definition is, "whatever gets in the way of you and God." It seems that religion is part of EVERYONE's life. From extreme conservative to extreme liberal, comes religious statements.

Religion is one of the oldest concepts known to man. Some theorize it was for our survival.1 I don't know much of it's origin, but I understand it's still alive and well. I have many ways of loosely describing religion. I don't look at religion as having to have a god, or even a leader (although almost everyone does). I look at religion as the opposite of relationship. Religious statements are blanket statements that seem to be universal in nature. We all know that the conservatives have been guilty of this in the past, but it also true for our progressive friends as well.

I have a friend who made a statement to me awhile ago, that seemed a little religious in nature, so I refuted in my own mind. Little did I know that I had the religious mindset. He told me that God took away his voice, because he teased someone.2 I couldn't believe it, God wouldn't do anything like that. Surely, God isn't a wrathful god as He is portrayed in popular culture. So I thought he was wrong. Then something hit me . . .

God deals with all of us differently. As somebody who has friends, family, and past romantic relationships, I interact differently with people based on the relationship. Some people I am family with, and talk with more. Some I am really good friends with, and have "hold no punches" conversations. Some are co-workers, who are softer than others, and I treat them with a milder tone. I believe God deals with people based on their relationship with Him.

God bless,
Ryan

__________________________________________________________________

1 Robert Winston's explanation of religion
2 He didn't lose it permanently. He lost his voice for two days.

Comments

Jacob said…
Awesome, so true, religion is indeed not relationship and every relationship is different! Right on Ryan thanks for sharing. Jacob

Popular Posts