Behaving for God

I don't know if I am at a crossroads. The majority of the Christian institution is just not for me.

These past few months I have been really busy. I have been at work basically full-time, and I have a little girl that I am raising. It doesn't sound too busy, unless of course, you have kids. So, I have not been able to attend the social church functions that I usually go to. For the sake of honesty, I don't miss it.

Why? Well, we all live in this world. Christians, seem to live out of this world, yet in it. They talk as if they are from another planet, but yet, are victims to the same human afflictions the rest of the world is. When I look at Christ, I can see something different. When you add a IAN to the end of Christ, I don't.1 Christians are just too busy trying to be righteous. Of course, they read their Bible, and probably have several dozen scriptures they can quote of God demanding that we be righteous. The problem is, I don't think they get at all, how this comes about.

Righteousness is really "free from guilt or sin."2 Do you know anybody, besides Jesus, who can have any claim to this at all? It looks likes all of humanity is in the same boat. In this boat is the crack addicted prison inmate, and your church going grandma. By definition, we are not free from sin or guilt; therefore, we are UNrighteous. There is no "more righteous" or "less righteous."

Christianity's big focus is that of any other major world religion. That focus is behavior. Sinning is usually looked at by what you did. No wonder we have so many righteous people. The guy who won't talk to women, and has never felt the temptation of sex, is righteous. The guy who has made a pact with God that if he doesn't masturbate for a month, the Lord shall bless him with an awesome woman or career, is righteous. All this is man-made garbage, and needs to be exposed as much. Let me quote the Bible for some really important information:
You have heard that it was said, ‘You shall not commit adultery.’But I tell you that anyone who looks at a woman lustfully has already committed adultery with her in his heart."3
Jesus was speaking to those who thought they were "righteous." For if He would of just asked who has not committed adultery, many hands would of gone up. God is not interested in good behavior, and that is what the Christian world fails to realize. Of course when I bring this up, a Christian fires back, "well, it's okay to do whatever you want then?" Their lies the problem. If you take away the fear of hell and punishment, who would these people be? In no way am I implying that it is okay to do whatever you want, but true righteousness is of those who desire to do God's will and fulfill it. Not doing what God says out of obligation, reward, or fear. Not a single person can do it, unless God himself moves in their heart. So any righteousness, is not even actually you, it is God.

So, please stop behaving for God. First comes love, then comes . . . behavior.

God bless,
Ryan


__________________________________________________________________
1 I should note, I don't feel this way about all people who are under the label of 'Christian'.
2 Merriam Webster definition of Righteousness.
3 Matthew 5:27-28 (New International Version)

Comments

Popular Posts